[c-nsp] PVLAN

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 09:56:57 EDT 2005

The later: policy enforcement. PVLAN breaks the paradigm that every
port on a VLAN can communicate with each other; on a PVLAN, isolated
(Cat 4k/6k) or protected (Cat 29xx) ports can't talk to other
isolated/protected ports, only to promiscuos ports. Router uplinks are
usually connected to promiscuos ports, servers to isolated ports.

Higher-end switches like Cat4k or Cat6k have communities where you can
specify some isolated ports to talk to the other isolated ports on the
community.

Rubens