[c-nsp] backup with STP

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Sep 29 17:46:28 EDT 2005

I've been trying to delve back into memory to remember all the
intricate bits and pieces of MST (it's been quite a while).  In the
context of the original question, one of the driving points for the
posters decision making was support for legacy dot1D devices.  Now, you
guys are far more familiar with MST than I am these days so I'm sure
you can clarify this point.

 From my memory, all dot1D devices were held in a "virtual region"
outside MST's IST instance.  In this situation is a dot1D BPDU
forwarded into the IST and as such broadcasted to all STP instances or
is there another STP instance outside the IST for the dot1D devices?

Like I said, it's been a while but I thought legacy dot1D support was a
weak point in MST.  RPVST+ naturally doesn't suffer from this sort of
problem.

David