[c-nsp] Smallest router that supports GigE over MM fibre

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Fri Sep 30 06:38:17 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 13:38 +0300, Andris Zarins wrote:
> We have a production box 2811 doing apporox 40mbit of normal internet
> traffic + OSPF + BGP (not full of course) at about 15-18% CPU load, and
> I have no reasons to think that 2821 will have problems to route
> 200mbit.
>
> What makes you thing that there will be 100% CPU load? Have you ever
> tested it?

First of all (perhaps I should have stated this in my first post), no,
I have not tested 28xx at 200 Mbit/s.  I have run those (2821 and 2851)
at traffic levels of about 40-50 Mbit/s max.

According to the router performance PDF, the 2821 does 87 Mbit/s, no
access lists, no routing protocols, no nothing, 64 byte packets.  I
usually don't assume much more throughput than this document states,
as, even though they measure using 64 byte packets, they assume 100%
load (no room for anything out of the ordinary) and as plain setup as
possible, no dynamic routing, access lists, QoS...etc.

Your requirements may vary...

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.