[c-nsp] Smallest router that supports GigE over MM fibre

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Fri Sep 30 08:10:09 EDT 2005

On (2005-09-30 09:46 +0000), Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:

> A 2821 *will not* route 200 Mbit/s.  You might be able to squeeze that
> out of a 2851, but it would be at 100% CPU load.  Your monitoring would

 2821 routes 170kpps, 100Mbps is 149kpps unidirectionally.

 That boils down to 127bytes avarage size for unidirectional
200Mbps flow. So assuming on top of your DoS attack, you
have some real traffic there, so that whole pipe can't
be stuffed full of 64bytes, I'd say that might be enough
if base traffic allows it.
 The more base traffic you have (IMIX >400bytes avarage) the more
you can account for other features needed, eg. RPF/ACL.

 Of course 3560 is better solution, if you can live with
the limitations of it. But in many (not all) situations, I'd dare
to put 2821 where 200Mbps is needed.

> probably be unreliable due to load, even administrative access could be
> a problem during that kind of load.  I wouldn't really count on OSPF
> adjacencies staying up...
>
> I'd buy a second-hand 7200VXR, NPE-400 (if a switch is not an option),
> those come fairly cheap on eBay.
>
> --
> Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
> Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.

  ++ytti