[c-nsp] atm ubr settings?

goemon at anime.net goemon at anime.net
Mon Apr 3 18:42:59 EDT 2006

I am arguing with another engineer over provisioning of our customer ATM
PVCs.

His argument goes something like:

"Configuring every ubr pvc to 45mbps by default does not hurt anything,
regardless if the customer's circuit is telco provisioned for 256k or
1.544mbps or anything else. Therefore, this is a valuable method to
prevent us from having to waste any time ever configuring customer pvcs
at all"

He justifies his position with some tcp download tests of the pvc set for
the proper (telco provisioned) line rate, and then comparing it to tcp
download tests with the pvc set to ubr 45mbps, and seeing "no difference".

I suspect this is a bad idea, but I would like an ATM expert's input on this.

-Dan