[c-nsp] Wireless bridging

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Tue Apr 4 08:58:20 EDT 2006

(is there a better mailing list for this?)

I'm faced with the task of adding wireless access to the athletic
fields here at Marist, specifically for the bleachers. Running
cat5/fiber to these outdoor locations does not (to me) seem the best
way to do this for all the obvious reasons, so I was planning to take
the A radio of a 1200 and use it as a backhaul link and use the BG
radio for clients.

Cisco suggests otherwise. I should be using a 1400 AP on either end
of the bridge, then a 1200 AP for clients. With that much equipment,
cost is a factor.

Has anyone tried either of these configurations? Is the 1400 really necessary?

Other points of information:
1. I'm expecting low usage (Its hard to use a laptop in the sun)
2. Availability is a focus of this department. The network must be
available 24/7 in these remote areas.
3. We are not using multiple SSIDs/vlans for wireless.
4. We have about 150 1200s currently in production.

Any advice?
TIA,
-mKaegler
--
  Michael "Porkchop" Kaegler, Network Analyst, 845 575 3061
  Marist College,  3399 North Road,  Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

A man attempted to amuse an audience by spouting
his 10 favorite puns, but no pun in ten did.