[c-nsp] Non-Cisco Gbic

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Wed Apr 5 19:36:31 EDT 2006

Michael K. Smith wrote on 6/4/2006 2:06 πμ:

> On 4/5/06 3:46 PM, "Mark Rogaski" <wendigo at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> An entity claiming to be Voll, Scott (Scott.Voll at wesd.org) wrote:
>> : Will a non-cisco gbic work in a 7204 vxr G1 with 12.3(6f) code?  Is
>> : there a special command to make it work?
>> :
>>
>> We had problems with third party GBIC's and were told that CIsco doesn't
>> support their use.
>>
>> Mark
>
> There are hooks in various switching platforms for disabling the GBIC check
> but I don't think it made it into the router platforms.  I'm not even sure
> the router cares.
>
> Are you sure it's a matter of the GBIC not being recognized versus having a
> bad GBIC or a misconfigured interface?  Have you tested the interface config
> with a Cisco GBIC or another non-Cisco GBIC?  Tested light levels?  Etc.
> etc.?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

We had the following 3 different cases with non-Cisco GBICs.

GBICs working fine in 6500s, but not working in 7200s.
GBICs working fine on 7200s, although they appear as unknown type under GE.
GBICs not working at all.

In other words: if you find a GBIC that works, stick with it ;)

PS: The ones made by Finisar had the best results for us...

Tassos