[c-nsp] mpls-te - dynamic latency?

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Thu Apr 6 06:53:44 EDT 2006

Yes.

Internet
kevin at gannons.net

Sent by: kgannon at gmail.com
06/04/2006 11:44

Christian MACNEVIN
cc
oboehmer, cisco-nsp
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] mpls-te - dynamic latency?

Does the traffic selection need to be based on something more than
the source/destination address ?

Regards
Kevin

On 4/6/06, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com <
christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com> wrote:
Not dealt with african providers before have you? :) Unfortunately, VSAT
is a fact of life for many, and the shortage
of fat pipes in the big continent requires live/live configs. Much as I
hated it at first, we gotta move on and find a way.

I've been looking at the MTR stuff, and frankly it looks like a dream come
true. Chetan tells me we're looking at 2007 for
the first release though, so we're going to need some black magic in the
meantime. Incidentally, I'd recommend a few
people take a look at this, because others must be suffering some of the
same pain we are, and if this looks like a solution
to others as well, it'd be good if Cisco realised customers had interest
in the availability of application-layer routing capabilities
without the evil.

Looking at OER, it seems like it'll still only work on destination prefix
- ie: no layer 4 awareness. Not true?

Internet
oboehmer at cisco.com

06/04/2006 08:36

Christian MACNEVIN
cc
cisco-nsp
Subject
RE: [c-nsp] mpls-te - dynamic latency?

Christian,

this looks indeed like a complex requirement, and likely not very
scalable (i.e. if you have many remote sites requiring to go to a
central site this way).
One option could be the use of OER on the CE to offload the path
selection to the CE. The CE is presented with multiple exit points (not
sure if this is possible), and the CE would use the path with the lowest
latency/delay (using an IP-SLA/SAA probe).

The best option would be to re-engineer your core so it provides the
same good service everywhere ;-)

                 oli

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
<mailto:christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com > wrote on Wednesday, April