[c-nsp] SCE 1000/2000 opinions or comments

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 08:47:30 EDT 2006

> Sent: 03 April 2006 16:55
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: [c-nsp] SCE 1000/2000 opinions or comments
>
> We are evaluating products to replace our two PacketShaper 8500s.
>
> Anyone have any experience with the Service Control Engines (either
> model)? If so, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just finishing an eval of the SCE2020, and I have to say they're pretty
nice boxes for our applications (DSL). You don't say what you use your
Packeteers are used for...

They've been rock solid for us for 2 months with a reasonable amount of DSL
traffic through them. I only had 2 thoughts, both of which are easily fixed:
1) Lack of a WFE to the Collection Manager (although one would be easy to
write if you can throw some Perl/PHP/Ruby at it). There is only a software
client at the moment, which I think is quite rudimentary, although it seems
to be improving rapidly.

2) Lack of many people in Cisco that know about the product at the moment, I
guess this relates to the fact it's a recent acquisition.

Overall though it has been rock solid in our tests, does what it says on the
tin. I've written some integration code in the C API which is very simple
and seems stable for integration with our OSS so far, and is well
documented.

Oh, one other area that I felt the documentation could have been improved
was with regards to the way hierarchy worked in 'packages'/policies, but
with a bit of trial and error it became clear.

> Thanks.

No worries.

Cheers,
Chris.