[c-nsp] Cisco 7960 7940 voip phones

Brian McMahon brmcmaho at cabrillo.edu
Thu Apr 6 14:37:33 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 10:07, Cisco Sheep wrote:

> I attempted that solution and at that point I no longer can
> communicate
> with my phone system. I also am not using any fancy switches just a
> hub
> and an open source phone box.

My lab setup is scrounged 7900 phones and an Asterisk PBX.  Can't
afford that fancy CallManager stuff on a California community college
budget.  8-)

Does "hub" mean *hub*, as in layer 1 multiport repeater?  If so, you
may be suffering from another problem that I found the Hard Way(*).
At least some of the 7900 phones appear to insist on doing full-
duplex, whether they negotiated it or not.

(*)The Hard Way: Specifically, the Cat2950, which (quite properly)
had set half duplex, and therefore classic CSMA/CD, on the port,
eventually decided to error-disable it due to excessive collisions.
I think it was a 7912G that I "discovered" this on.  YMMV.

--
Brian McMahon <brian dot mcmahon at cabrillo dot edu>
Computer Networking and System Administration Instructor