[c-nsp] Decnet, LAT, MOP ... anybody?!?

Brian McMahon brmcmaho at cabrillo.edu
Thu Apr 6 15:03:20 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:48, Netfortius wrote:

> I am having a little problem with a setup, in regards to some VAX
> machines on
> two different LANs. Here is the data:
> - client needs the functions on the VAX machines, but nobody
> remembers who put
> them in;
[...]
> - sniffing at one end I have seen some LAT and MOP traffic, but
> none of that
> would appear to leave the confinement of a LAN (except for broadcasts)

LAT for sure, and I think MOP as well, are layer 2 protocols, and
*must* be bridged.  No layer 3 info, MAC addresses only, nothing to
route.

LAT .ne. DECnet.  DECnet (there's Phase IV, which is what you
probably have, and Phase V, which is based on the OSI protocol stack
(remember when that was going to be the way of the future?)) is
routable, assuming that you have an IOS feature set that speaks DECnet.

But if your important access is via LAT anyway (mostly seen for
communication with terminal servers and printers), then you're stuck
bridging that no matter what.

*WOW*, it's been a long time since those neurons woke up.

--
Brian McMahon <brian dot mcmahon at cabrillo dot edu>
Computer Networking and System Administration Instructor