[c-nsp] SmartNet on Ebay gear

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Apr 7 18:53:54 EDT 2006

It would be extremely foolish to buy software licensing or
smartnet or a certification from an Ebay seller.

There is some counterfeit cisco gear out on Ebay and
in fact Cisco has even discovered some of it in legitimate
retailers.

If you buy a counterfeit card or router from an Ebay seller and
it doesen't work, you will know immediately and can pursue
proceedings against the seller.

If it does work, well there is the question of how to determine if
it's counterfeit or not, the best counterfeits are exact duplicates
of the originals, often made on the same assembly lines in China
in the dark of night, and Cisco has people that try to put a stop
to that already.

i will point out that if Cisco brought back manufacturing to the
United States, they would have a lot easier time preventing
counterfeits.  So I really don't have a lot of sympathy for
them on this issue, to be honest.  That's American jobs lost,
and I'm American.

If you buy paperwork you won't know if it's good until you try
calling Cisco ans asking for your support, and they tell you
"ciscoebaysales123, we never heard of that Ebay seller" and
you find all your paperwork was just printed off on a desktop
publishing computer somewhere.

Ted