[c-nsp] rate limiting newbie question

Fredrik.Jacobsson at enskilda.se Fredrik.Jacobsson at enskilda.se
Thu Apr 13 08:03:48 EDT 2006

Hi!

I (customer) have a ip-vpn service provided dropping off an ethernet
interface.
The service is for 8 Mbit/s.

Obviously I want to send my packets in a controlled behaviour and do
queuing myself to prioritize some packets in front of other so no congestion
occurs at the service provider routers.

Today I have this on my old link, a serial interface: (on a 2800-router
running 12.4)

policy-map mypolicy
 class voip
  pri 72
 class business-critical
  band 1024
 class class-default
  fair-queue

Now I also need to make sure that the maximum bandwidth for entire policy
doesn't exceed 8192 kbps.
Do I really need to set a shape/police for each class? I don't want to limit
a class...but the
entire interface speed.

How would you do this?

Thanks
/Fredrik

Confidentiality Notice

The content of this message, including attachments, is intended for the confidential use of the individual(s) or entity(-ies) to whom it is addressed only and may contain personal and/or confidential information. Please notify the sender immediately by returning this message if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that reading, duplicating, or in any way disseminating its content to any other person, is strictly prohibited.

If the content of this message, including attachments, includes an offer to provide any service or product, an offer or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any securities or any other investment product, please refer to the disclaimer on www.enskilda.se, which applies also to the content of this message. Any such transaction will also be subject to any other Terms of Business currently in place between us.

If you are a client of Enskilda Securities with access to Enskilda Research Online and this message contains a research report or the content of this message, including attachments, may be regarded as an advice in relation to companies or securities, please refer to the general and company specific disclaimers, respectively, on Enskilda Research Online.