[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Apr 14 21:51:22 EDT 2006

Bruce:

That's how it works now on our existing point-to-point T1, DS-3, or Ethernet
circuits.  But if we want to buy bandwidth in bulk, all of it has to be
Ethernet, and for us to make most efficient use of our regional transport it
should be RPR-based Ethernet.  And the only way our Fujitsu can do RPR and
drop off traffic at each individual ISP on the ring is for the traffic to be
tagged.  If we do it the way you suggested, each ISP's edge router would see
all the unicast traffic, like one big hub.

We could revert to point-to-point links at the regional point of ingress,
but then we would chew up four Ethernet ports as opposed to one (and it
already has one of the four points in use) and we would have to size each
point-to-point link within a separate STS-1 OR STS-3c link (can't bond
STS-1s).  So if each ISP uses less than 45 Mbps we would chew up four
STS-1s.  With the RPR-based Ethernet we can bond multiple STS-1s together,
such that a shared pipe of 75 Mbps takes up just two STS-1s.

Frank