[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Sun Apr 16 01:18:53 EDT 2006

Frank Bulk wrote:
> I'm looking to share an internet pipe with several other regional ISPs.  We
> will be receiving our internet pipe via a Cisco 2950 into our Fujitsu 4500
> shelf to transport it around our regional ring.  But the way the Fuji
> equipment drops off each ISP's traffic on this RPR-Ethernet pipe has to be
> on a per-VLAN basis.  So all the traffic *has* to be tagged.

Are you sure this is true? "has to be tagged"?  RPR is just packet, you
choose whether you route or bridge over it.  Why can't you just place
the participating ISP's router interfaces in a common subnet and let the
ISP's on each side route?  That way you could even exchange routes with
the ISP's on the same RPR without forcing it to go through the
upstreams. (should you choose to do so)  This should allow everyone on
the ring to share the max bandwidth to the upstream....

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Sure it's user-friendly...if you know what you're doing.