[c-nsp] Sizing a router for full feed (once and for all)

Marko Milivojevic markom at pangalactic.net
Mon Apr 17 08:29:04 EDT 2006

Once and for all, huh? :-)

I will take example of one of the routers I'm operating. It has a mix of two
full BGP feeds + customer and our own routes.

Each BGP prefix is using 115 bytes on average (with some communities).
Multiply that by number of prefixes received and full views, and you get the
amount that BGP alone would consume. Based on this information, routing and
CEF tables are built (more memory used). Exact calculation is very much
topology-based (you may have 4 full views and use less memory than with only
two feeds in some cases). But, the key point is, if your
router/switch/whatever can't have the full BGP table multiplied by, say, 2.5
(routing and CEF tables), you shouldn't really try it.

Marko.

P.S. It's really not that simple.