[c-nsp] iBGP v eBGP

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Apr 18 10:25:43 EDT 2006

At 10:09 AM 4/18/2006, Michael Robson wrote:
>For our shortly-to-be-upgraded network core, we are going to have each
>router
>iBGP peering to each other using loopbacks with OSPF as our IGP advertising
>these loopbacks; sites connecting to the core and our WAN links will connect
>using eBGP.
>
>The question: what are the benefits of using iBGP in the core instead of
>just using eBGP everywhere? Someone asked me this and I couldn't answer the
>question to my own satisfaction let alone his.

eBGP is a BGP connection to a different AS than your router's. Unless
each router in your core is running a different AS on it (ewwww), you
can't run eBGP in the core. I'm sure there are some convoluted ways
someone could invalidate what I said, but in general iBGP is what you
get when peering with routers in the same AS and what you want to do.
iBGP by default will only update other iBGP peers with routes it is
originating or has learned from an eBGP speaker. It won't
redistribute other learned iBGP routes which is why you need a full
mesh. You can use route-reflectors to overcome this if it makes sense
to do so. iBGP will scale better than your IGP because it's designed
to carry more routes. Putting only your loopback and maybe your links
between core routers in your IGP will enable the IGP to converge very
quickly. Think of iBGP as a layer on top of your IGP. iBGP will not
converge as fast (although I think there are some enhancements that
help convergence times on certain trains) but you can scale to a lot
more prefixes. You shouldn't normally drop iBGP connections with your
routers due to a failed link because the IGP is maintaining the
reachability of all routers on your network.

Some of what I said I'm sure you already knew due to the upgrades you
are doing.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain