[c-nsp] mtu issues on 3750

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 19 12:58:30 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 09:43:45AM -0700, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> This is a really general question, but why not set any and all MTU's to
> their maximum values?  Are there system resources that get eaten up in doing
> so?  It seems to me that it's "easier" to set the MTU at its highest value,
> but I'm curious to know why it's not "better".

If you happen to have other devices on the same Layer 3 network segment
that use "standard size" MTUs (for example, end hosts) you MUST NOT have
a larger MTU on the SVI that sends packets their way.

(Otherwise the switch will just send big packets out to the LAN, and
the host will not be able to receive them -> black hole)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de