[c-nsp] BGP weight

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Apr 19 17:59:01 EDT 2006

Voll, Scott wrote:
> I'm already using communities to get the load balance I'm looking for on
> the inbound, but my out bound is going out the one provider and not much
> out the other.
>
> Most of the routes I see in my BGP table are three AS's away.  So with a
> tie (my understanding) the first peer up get's the traffic.
>
> What if I want a particular network to go out one peer rather then
> another?  What should I be using?  Localpref? Weight? ??  This is a
> single BGP router with three external BGP peers.

You can use weight, but it might not scale is you ever add routers.
You can use local preference.
You can use extra prepends (to depreference the unwanted networks).

I'd do LP or prepends.  LP is great if you really want the traffic to
stick to one peer no matter what.  Prepends are great if you want
traffic to prefer one peer in steady-state conditions, but consider
alternate paths if the preferred path ever "grows" by an AS (during an
event that changes the AS topology, etc.).

Your call.

pt