[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Apr 21 09:54:17 EDT 2006

We basically found out that a Fujitsu FlashWave 4500 shelf 2 cannot do the
same thing the ONS15454 can in regards to routing.  It would be possible to
put everyone on the same VLAN, but then the routers would:
A) share the same broadcast traffic
B) it wouldn't be possible to rate-limit on a per-company basis
C) a bad network event, such as a worm, could starve the other companies

We're leaning toward a 3750 because there are models with 4 SFP's, while the
4948 only has up to 2, I believe.  There's also consideration for a Extreme
switch.  Does anyone have an opinion on the 3750's horsepower to route up to
a 1 Gbps in what are likely mostly small-sized packets?  We're planning on
using the Fujitsu to perform QoS (each company, for example, will say they
need x Mbps with 20% burst), but perhaps we should put QoS on the VLAN
egress rather than then Fuji ingress.

Regards,

Frank