[c-nsp] 2924XL gotchas?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 24 13:47:08 EDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Adam Greene wrote:

> Hi ... I'm thinking of using an old 2924XL for some basic dot1q tagging. I
> don't expect to try to push more than 5Mbps through a few ports
> simultaneously. Any gotchas I should be aware of besides security issues
> arising from running an old unpatched IOS?

Are you using a 2924XL or a 2924XL-EN (enterprise)?  The original 2924XLs
had some serious limitations in their trunking capabilities, plus the
very small amount of RAM and flash in the box really limited what
capabilities could be coded into the software and still be able to fit in
the flash.  As you mentioned, there could also be unpaatched security
vulnerabilities to deal with as well.  If I remember correctly, some
2924XL IOS versions only supported ISL trunking.

2924XL-ENs are very cheap on the secondary market.  I bought one for
around $150 a year or so ago on ebay for use in my home network.  This
with a recent version of IOS for that platform, has a pretty stable dot1q
implementation.  I don't know if it supports extended-range VLANs though -
I haven't tried.

jms