[c-nsp] 2924XL gotchas?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Apr 24 15:40:45 EDT 2006

Adam Greene wrote:
> Hi ... I'm thinking of using an old 2924XL for some basic dot1q tagging. I
> don't expect to try to push more than 5Mbps through a few ports
> simultaneously. Any gotchas I should be aware of besides security issues
> arising from running an old unpatched IOS?

Depending on how old, there may be some issues.  There was an early run
of 2924XL that had only 4MB RAM on board.  These have issues with trunk
interfaces IIRC.  The later 8MB ones don't have any significant problems
operationally, but from a configuration standpoint they have the old
VLAN database syntax.

The early run 4MB switches are easily identified physically, they are
about 14 to 15 inches deep front-to-back as opposed to about 10 inches
for the 8MB units.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323