[c-nsp] Cat 6000

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Apr 25 11:58:33 EDT 2006

At 08:47 AM 4/25/2006, Tim Stevenson pronounced:
>At 07:54 AM 4/25/2006, W. Kevin Hunt pronounced:
>>I have the Sup1A2G w/ PFC / MSFC2 card in another box not being utilized
>>that I can just replace w/ a Sup1a(no pfc/msfc),
>
>I think you are asking the opposite, right? Ie, you would replace
>the sup1a/no pfc with the sup1a/MSFC2? No problems there.
>
>Will let others comment on their experiences w/sup1a & multiple BGP
>feeds, you gotta work w/what you've got but I'd obviously recommend
>sup2 or sup720 myself.
>
>WRT the TCAMs etc, sup1a is a flow based system, not FIB based, and
>as such it is the CPU & DRAM really that dictates the scalability, not TCAM.

I should qualify that with "... the scalability in terms of # of
routes". There are 128K netflow entries (32K "effective") in the h/w
and this most definitely is a consideration in terms of flow
scalability, this is one reason the FIB model is superior.

Tim