[c-nsp] Mysterious 7513 reboot

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 26 11:37:44 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> You're running out of memory, you should move back to 12.0 if you aren't already
> there

He's probably not really out of memory, but has badly fragmented memory.
We just had a similar event yesterday caused by a VIP gone bad.  Due to
[insert IOS bug speculation], after a VIP crashed several times, our RSP
memory was so badly fragmented that BGP sessions couldn't stay up (we'd
run out of memory and they'd get reset) and the router wouldn't allow me
to do a redundancy force-switchover.  Under "normal" conditions, this
router has 96MB free (running 12.2S).