[c-nsp] Assigning VLANs on a per-subnet basis

jamie baddeley jamie.baddeley at fx.net.nz
Thu Apr 27 05:25:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:05 +0200, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > The disadvantage of the 4948's is they can't be stacked.
>
> The 4948 is purpose-built for top of rack installations. It
> makes no sense to stack it.

There are many places to put a switch. Top of rack is one of them.

> > A stacked system gives you redundant PSU which is nice.
>
> A 4948 can have redundant PSUs. They can be AC, DC or a mix.
> And they're hot-swap.

Sure. But what about options on ports? Stacked gives you that.
Especially the 10G 80K lasers.

4948 switching capacity and actual 10 gig throughput is better, I'll
agree with that. But four ports of ten is never enough..

So at this point, it's a still a trade off. It depends on what's best
for your situation :-)

jamie