[c-nsp] Top of Rack Switching

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Apr 27 17:37:57 EDT 2006

On 28/04/2006, at 4:58 AM, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

>  The 6500 will
> also allow you to extend other services through the platforms modules.
> Being able to install an FWSM of CSM module can mean being able to
> provide
> more services out of one chassis.

And that, in my opinion, is the only major issue with the 6500's.  The
"swiss army knife" approach to service delivery, layer 2 aggregation
and layer 3 aggregation.  The only significant issues we've ever had
with 6500's is when there's something else involved - like a CSM or an
FWSM (or for the ultimate in pain and suffering having both a CSM and a
very early FWSM in the same chassis).  A Cisco mate of mine tried to
explain the packet path when you have the MFSC, CSM, and FWSM all
involved.  It's pretty damn ugly.

Personally, if I want a load balancer I'll buy a load balancer and
attach it to the 6500 rather than slotting in a CSM (and lets face it,
the CSM is an incredibly basic device compared to things like BigIP's
etc).  If I want a virtualised firewall device then I'd hook up a PIX
535 running 7.x, a big netscreen, or anything else you like.
Separation of service platforms and aggregation is a good thing (IMHO
naturally :).

David