[c-nsp] Sup32 Memory upgrade

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Fri Apr 28 10:58:10 EDT 2006

At 01:43 AM 4/28/2006, 'Kristian Larsson' pronounced:
>Anyway, this is a bit off the original topic. I am
>still curious what the different RAM memories on
>the Supervisor and MSFC2 is for.

MSFC RAM is used for control plane data structures typical of a
router; SP RAM is used for data structures typical of a switch, as
well as for shadow copies of h/w tables.

>There seems to
>also be a small flash memory on the MSFC2, what's
>it for?

Originally, to boot the IOS for MSFC in hybrid mode. Now, for
crashinfo & that's about it.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759