[c-nsp] MPLS/VPN + Internet Setup

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Mon Aug 7 04:55:55 EDT 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 10:34, Tim Franklin wrote:

> Typically both - they're doing different things.
>
> HSRP will get the traffic from the machines on the LAN to the
> router that's working and has the preferred path out.  You can
> configure it twice in different VRFs to get the Internet / VPN
> separation.

This gets me thinking - what is the general practice for
providing "gateway" access to hosts or other routers that may
reside on the same segment/VLAN as your P/core routers - this
assumes you want these hosts/routers to use the P/core routers
as their default gateway, and not use edge routers instead?

I ask because with MPLS, it's typical to *stop* running BGP in
the core, and keep it running only on edge, transit/border and
peering routers. But with OSPF in the core carrying loopback
prefixes, there's limited routing information to exit points. I
guess you could originate filtered default-information from OSPF
routers operating at exit points, but how do the P routers
detect failure in upstream links, especially if you have
multiple transit/border and peering routers in active/active
states?

Cheers,

Mark.