[c-nsp] network probes / netflow vendors

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Mon Aug 7 08:14:25 EDT 2006

Tried it. To be honest, it didn't quite have the feel I was after.

My ultimate solution is something giving:

1. the topological abilities of something like Packet Design's Traffic
Explorer (which doesn't support multicast)
2.the packet inspection abilities of something like TS Associates' TipOff.
3.the Netflow capabilities of (I hear) Crannog. Oh, and the (new) ability
of NetScout to do IGMP joins.

The first one is the really big one. Hardly anybody seems to do a decent
topological solution. It's all link-by-link.

My experience with NetScout has been that they don't make enough use of
the data available to them. It's fine
if you're into probes for unicast packet capture, but the deep packet
inspectoin isn't great, the alarms have historically
had a lot of problems, and they have no topological view whatsoever. In
the MPLS space (we also use them for that)
they also don't have the ability to look at multiple routing tables, so
they have to use an incredibly probe-heavy solution
in order to figure out which VPN you're talking about. When they could (I
believe) just be using inherent features of
NetFlow v9.

Oh yeah. If NetScout would implement sFlow, it seems like the world would
be a much better place as well.

Internet
jtantsura at upcbroadband.com

07/08/2006 13:00

Christian MACNEVIN, cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
RE: [c-nsp] network probes / netflow vendors

Hi,

At least for multicast you could try Cisco Multicast Manager.
Haven't tried it yet, still on my to do list.
You can get a trial version form your cisco SE.

Regards,
Jeff