[c-nsp] 6500 sup32 v sup720

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon Aug 7 11:49:47 EDT 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> peter.salanki at bahnhof.net (Peter Salanki) wrote:
>
>> If you got the same pricing, go with the sup720, but make sure it's
>> sup720-3bxl. For your traffic amount, a sup32 would be enough, but
>> sup720 has a faster CPU which is a key factor when handling full
>> tables (in my opinion, the sup720 CPU could be a LOT faster for that
>> price).
>
> I'd guess SUP32 and SUP720-3B may be equally priced, but Cisco does
> the real ripoff [tm] for the XL series...

No SUP32 does not have the 720Gbps Switch Fabric integrated and its MSFC
is only MSFC2A (in sup720 you will have MSFC3). Therefore with SUP32 you
cannot use the SFM enabled cards (65xx and 67xx series), otherwise Sup32
is a great GE capable router....

Regards,

> I have an additional question to the SUP32:
>  Does the SUP32 also have the 200-something-K TCAM limit?

Have look at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_qanda_item0900aecd80350bfc.shtml

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98