[c-nsp] 6500 sup32 v sup720

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Aug 7 17:42:15 EDT 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Alex Foster wrote:

> You highlighted the sup32 has TCAM limitations - does this apply to the
> sup720-3B as well ??  From what other list memebers have said were
> looking at around 200k prefixes currently - so the sup32 would be able
> to handle this (at the moment) - however, not fully understanding the
> current growth of the internet (in terms of prefix saturation) - it
> would be difficult to say the sup32 would be good for the next few years
> (unless Cisco improve the sup32 - does anybody know if this is this
> likely or indeed possible).

If you buy the SUP32, and need full routes, you'll be upgrading (if
possible) or replacing them with SUP720-3bxl's in probably 2 years or
less.  This is bound to make you unpopular with everyone other than your
cisco gear supplier and/or sales rep.

> Im getting some good pricing on the sup720-3BXL - so I think barring any
> feedback that tells me to avoid the 3BXL at all costs, I will go with
> this.

SUP720-3bxl is the only 6500/7600 supervisor that makes sense at this time
if you plan to carry full routes.  Also, I recommend maxing out the RAM
now (1gb each on the sup and msfc).  With a single full view, ours eat up
about 200MB each on the msfc and switch.  And plan to get big CF cards.
IOS images for these things can be huge (>70MB each).  We're using 512MB
CF cards.