[c-nsp] Sup720 maximum memory?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Aug 10 07:49:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:49:45PM +0200, Edoardo Martelli wrote:
> The upgrade is possible, we made it on a sup3B because of a lot of BGP
> peers.
> MEM-MSFC3-1GB is what you need to upgrade the route processor DRAM.
> There is also MEM-SUP720-SP-1GB that is the upgrade for the  switch
> processor DRAM.
>
> You can also evalutate WS-F6K-PFC3BXL: it comes with the card to upgrade
> the  sup3B to  3BXL and also the two 1GB sticks to upgrade both the
> router processor and the switch processor DRAM.

I know that it has been asked before, but either I've never seen the
answer, or forgotten what it was - in that case, sorry.

What exactly is the switch processor DRAM used for?  Why could it want
to have 1 Gb memory?

I assume route processor DRAM is used for IOS, BGP tables (RIB), CEF
tables (FIB), and all the other things IOS wants memory for.

TCAM space is needed for FIB and ACLs.

switch processor DRAM?  IOS, CAM tables (mac addresses), ...?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de