[c-nsp] Supervisor 32 Compact Flash

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Aug 10 14:56:51 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 02:47:47PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:45:29PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	I just don't understand how cisco can't size flash for
> > their platforms to be 1 x physical ram + 2*image_size at minimum so
> > you can dump core :)
>
> Because then they couldn't sell the CF at 50x markup without it costing
> more than the interface cards? :)
>
> > 	the fact you can't order 1G+ cards from cisco is kinda
> > frustrating.
>
> The slow speed at which the CF's are accessed is far more annoying. These
> boxes take too long to boot at it is, without trying to write a 1GB
> coredump to the flash.
>
> The lastest results from people who've tried the internal flash upgrade to
> sup-bootdisk (which is really just a CF with an adapter) are that it still
> only reads at 1MB/s (the same as every variety of external CF). For some
> reason, the native internal flash in stock 64mb sup720s seem to do 2MB/s.

	Yes, we used the sup-bootflash as primary for a lot of things.

	We get around 300K(byte)/second.  For a 95m image, how
long does that take to copy?  This is a sorely missed space at
cisco.  I've spent time trying to talk to both Juniper and Cisco about
boot time and it seems to be variablly lost.  I like the foundry boot
times, they're quick.  I'd like that to be the standard used for
my SUP/Route Processor/RE.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net