[c-nsp] RTR/SAA on smaller platforms

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:34:56 EDT 2006

On 10/08/06, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) <oboehmer at cisco.com> wrote:
> pls try the old "rtr" command syntax, old/new syntax is compared at
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_
> guide09186a008044d161.html

.. and suddenly it all makes sense :)

I'm having a bit of trouble getting through the documentation though.
Basically what I want to do is ping an IP address every second
(actually 5 times a sec if possible), timeout around 100ms, and if the
packet doesn't come back in a timely manner then log or bleet or do
something interesting that I can somehow detect.

I'd rather not have to SNMP query every second to see if the last
packet came back OK if at all possible.... is there any way to store
say the last minute of traffic and poll that once a minute for dropped
packets? Or to get it to syslog if such an event occurs? Is 'show rtr
history' useful at this point?

Thanks,
Ras