[c-nsp] ebgp vs ibgp admin distance

david.ponsdesserre at uk.bnpparibas.com david.ponsdesserre at uk.bnpparibas.com
Fri Aug 11 05:50:38 EDT 2006

you sure it not

router bgp XXXX
>          bgp deterministic-med
>          no synchronization
>          no auto-summary
>          distance BGP 200 200 200

On the other hand is that a best practice for Vrf Environment ( MPLS)  when
the same prefix is learn via Ebgp ( ad=20 )  and Mibgp ( ad=200 ) because
of a backdoor

Those prefixes are coming from two different Bgp As , therefore the command
bgp deterministic-med is not usefull .....

The command bgp always-compare-med is may be the more appropriate one on
that case ...

Let me know what you think .
Rgds
David

|---------------------------------------->
|          Internet                      |
|          shakeelahmad at gmail.com        |
|          Sent by:                      |
|          cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.|
|          net                           |
|          11/08/2006 10:13              |
|---------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                             To|
  |       sthaug                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                             cc|
  |       cisco-nsp                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                        Subject|
  |       Re: [c-nsp] ebgp vs ibgp admin distance                                                                 |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                               |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Agreed to this... Philp Smith (Cisco) also recomended the same ... as best
practice.

Shakeel

On 8/11/06, sthaug at nethelp.no <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

> > Routes are matched against BGP best path selection. If you have same
> > metrics/variables of a prefix received via eBGP and iBGP, eBGP will
win.

> > Then onto admin distance, 20 for ebgp, 200 for ibgp.
>
> I have seen several places where Cisco recommends setting admin distance
> the same (200) for both EBGP and IBGP. A Cisco BGP workshop held in
> Stockholm, Sweden in February 2003 (by Alvaro Retana and Daniel Walton)
> recommended the following BGP template:
>
>         router bgp XXXX
>          bgp deterministic-med
>          no synchronization
>          no auto-summary
>          distance 200 200 200
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority