[c-nsp] 6500 iBGP mesh

Aubrey Wells aubrey.wells at oneringnetworks.com
Fri Aug 11 10:27:53 EDT 2006

Hello,
We currently have two iBGP peered edge routers that are eBGP peered to
several upstreams, as well as several private peering arrangements.
These two routers are in seperate data centers connected via a Layer-2
ethernet circuit. Downstream from the edge routers is a mesh of
Sup2/MSFC2 6506s that are aggregate points for many other POPs. All
devices are connected via IGP (ospf). Currently, when a customer route
gets to an edge router, it looks up the destination in the table and
sometimes has to send the packet over the layer2 circuit to the other
edge router. Since all traffic at some point goes through a 6500, I
would perfer to have the 6500 make the decision of which edge router to
go to for the route, saving me the bandwidth on the L2 interconnection
between the edge routers, and eliminating a hop for the customer.

My thoughts on solving the problem is to set up a iBGP mesh between the
6500s and the edge routers so any one route will (almost) never hit both
edge routers. Will the Sup2 be able to handle a full view from each edge
router to accomplish my goal? Any suggestions to make it work (outside
of upgrading to Sup720)?

TIA

--
---