[c-nsp] Supervisor 32 Compact Flash

David J. Hughes bambi at hughes.com.au
Fri Aug 11 18:00:27 EDT 2006

On 12/08/2006, at 6:01 AM, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

> When you're talking interrupts/second, not SPECINT, the performance
> shoe is rather on the other foot.  :-)

I'm talking control plane not forwarding plane.  In that context
we're talking about processing BGP updates etc so the shoe is
actually on the correct foot  ;-)

> You're probably not playing WoW on your router, and you're hopefully
> not using commodity desktop computing platforms in your backbone.

Not sure I understand this comment at all.  PowerPC _HAS_ been used
in commodity desktop equipment.  It's not used any more because for
various reasons it wasn't good enough.

My point is that neither of these chips is application specific so
you are looking at which general purpose CPU to use in your RP.  The
design of IOS is becoming more UNIX like all the time.  We know that
x86 is quite capable in that area.  They are cheaper, faster, cooler,
and much more readily available.  Not that I'm an Intel bigot (I'm
using a G4 based notebook to type this email), it just looks like a
strange direction to me.

And - I don't think this is the correct forum for a PPC vs x86
architectural debate but I'm happy to chat in private email.

David