[c-nsp] Weird DHCP like service required - anyone?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Tue Aug 15 01:37:30 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

	I am trying to accomplish something which I am not sure is possible.

	I have a network with some 40 Cisco 1811's in it.  I want to run
DHCP, but I want to run it centrally.

	Each 1811 might be serving 100-500 clients. so a /24 or /23 will
most likely do (with possible for expansion).

	While this will be DHCP assigned, it will be from static assignments
based on each persons MAC address.

	So, thousand of users, going into their respective 1811, the 1811 ip
dhcp helper forwarding the request to a Linux box.

	Then the Linux box should see the MAC and give back the appropriate
IP.

	It would be nice if any unknown MAC's could be given a walled-garden
kind of IP.

	Does this sound odd? Or is it something where there is a solution
for.  Can I use a Linux DHCP server which will work with the 1811's?

.Skeeve

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE     Email: skeeve at skeeve.org
Website: www.skeeve.org  - Telephone: (0414) 753 383
Address: P.O Box 1035, Epping, NSW, 1710, Australia

eIntellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net