[c-nsp] IPSec backup

szilard csordas redmond at freemail.hu
Tue Aug 15 05:09:58 EDT 2006

Hello Shakeel,

Thank you for the idea, soon I will have more routers in our lab so I can
test it.
by the way, the HQ has 2upstream providers, but the IPSec tunnel is
not terminated on the edge devices so it shouldn't be a problem.

rgs,
Szilard

Shakeel Ahmad <shakeelahmad at gmail.com> írta:

> GRE solution will work fine without any issues except
few GRE keepallives on
> both links all the time AND GRE have some drawback
(specific to few
> applications) ... you might have to adjust the MTU on
both sides for making
> applications to work.....
>
> if HQ have a single upstream ISP, i would go for DMVPN
(MPGRE+IPSEC) which
> is (in my opinion) more efficient than a normal GRE
tunnel.

> BTW  i have also read somewhere about On-Demand DMVPN -
not used/not sure

> cheers,
> Shakeel
>

> On 8/11/06, szilard csordas <redmond at freemail.hu> wrote:
> >
> > hello,
> >
> > A small site has 2routers with 2internet accesses from
different
> > providers. They are connected to the headquater via
IPSec. The routers
> > play an HSRP to the LAN and the primary router builds
up a tunnel to
> > the HQ. Object tracking is configured on the primary
(pinging one of
> > the HQ's IP).
> > If the ping fails it will decrease the HSRP priority,
the secondary
> > takes over and builds up a new tunnel (DPD is turned
on).
> > It works but if some intermediate provider blocks the
ICMP packet it
> > will trigger the secondary line, so it's a little
unreliable.

> > I am also thinking about GRE+IPSec+OSPF so i can do
load-balancing
> > also(this is not so important), but I am hesitating
because I haven't
> > configured this together before. (also the topology in
HQ is not