[c-nsp] Jumbo frames and 3750

Raniery Pontes raniery at rnp.br
Tue Aug 15 14:37:33 EDT 2006

  Hi everybody,

  we´ve got a customer with a 3750  (IOS Version 12.2(25)SE) running a
pretty simple configuration. There are 2 routed vlans: a default vlan
and a "upstream" vlan, which goes to upstream provider (our company).
The 3750 has only a default static route pointing upstream.

We´re an R&E network and we´ve got jumbo-frames enabled on our network.
This customer has enabled jumbo-frame on the 3750 ("system mtu jumbo
9000" command).

When I send jumbo-frames to an end station connected to the upstream
vlan (I mean, 3750 doesn´t need to route between vlans), everything
works fine. But when I try to send jumbo-frames to a station in the
default vlan, it fails.

I´ve tried to change "ip mtu" in both vlans, but the maximum allowed
value is 1500 bytes.

Does the 3750 only "switch" jumbo frames? Don´t they route jumbo-frames
(or should I say jumbograms) ?

I´ve checked Cisco documentation, but I haven´t found anything regarding
this issue.

Thanks in advance

Raniery