[c-nsp] OSPF over virtual-access interfaces

Jeremiah Millay jeremiah at rockriver.net
Tue Aug 15 18:06:15 EDT 2006

There is no option to add "no passive-interace virtual-accesX" only
virtual-templates. Besides how would you know what number the interface
would be since it is assigned dynamically? I appreciate the suggestion
though.

Erik Wenzel wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:23:10PM -0500, Jeremiah Millay wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up a customer router to run ospf over their ADSL line
>> to us. Here is a crude diagram:
>>
>> Customer Router (Fa0/0) -----> ADSL Modem (PPPoE Client) -----> Provider
>> Cloud -----> LNS (One of our core routers)
>>
>> I enable all of the commands on the customer router for a standard ospf
>> setup. Something like:
>>
>> router ospf 1
>>  log-adjacency-changes
>>  passive-interface default
>>  no passive-interface FastEthernet0/0
>>  network 209.X.X.0 0.0.0.7 area 0
>>

>> On our side (the LNS):
>>
>> router ospf 1
>>  log-adjacency-changes
>>  passive-interface default
>>  no passive-interface Virtual-Template1
>>  network 209.X.X.0 0.0.0.7 area 0
>>
> Try to add "no passive-interface Virtual-AccessX". If you see OSPF
> packets afterwards then you know it's because of the "passive-interface
> default" Then you have turn around the "passive-interface" logic.
>
>> interface Virtual-Template1
>>  mtu 1492
>>  ip unnumbered Loopback1
>>  no logging event link-status
>>  peer default ip address pool DSL-POOL
>>  ppp authentication chap
>> !
>>
>> int loopback 2
>>  ip address 209.X.X.1 255.255.255.248
>>

>> In my RADIUS config I'm returning some specific Cisco AVPairs:
>> Framed-Address = 209.X.X.2
>> Framed-Netmask= 255.255.255.248
>> lcp:interface-config#1=ip unnumbered loopback 2
>> lcp:interface-config#2=ip ospf authentication-key somekey
>>

>> I'm able to get the connection working just fine. I can ping from both
>> ends with no problems. But I'm not seeing any hellos from the either
>> router crossing the link (debug ip ospf hello / debug ip ospf adj). Is
>> there some trick to creating an OSPF adjacency over virtual-access
>> interfaces? Havn't found much info on the Cisco site.

Rock River Internet                            Jeremiah Millay
202 W. State St, 8th Floor              jeremiah at rockriver.net
Rockford, IL 61101                      815-968-9888 Ext. 2202
USA                                               fax 968-6888