[c-nsp] High processor utilization on c12008 4port STM-1 line card

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Thu Aug 17 02:23:57 EDT 2006

Hi everyone

We have few c12008 and between two of them we have 2x STM-1 links.
Based on my MRTG, link payload doesn't go over 130Mbps, even though on
SONET its suppose to go all the way to 150Mbps (I might be wrong about
this, but I think I'm not). This means we get only about 260Mbps instead
of 300Mbps (we run OSPF for load balancing on those two links). After
a bit of research, I found out that line card (on 4 port SONET STM-1 card)
processor utilization is somewhere around 80% or even higher, while route
processor utilization is around 10%.

Now I have question if there's any way to get this thing down, since
I have feeling to high utilization on line card's processor is reason
why I can't get payload higher. Would more packet memory help reducing
processor utilization?

Current hardware config is following:
- c12008 with GRP-B route processor and 512MB memory
- 4 port SONET OC-3c/STM-1 line card with 256MB processor memory, 64MB
TX Packet Memory and 64MB RX Packet Memory.
- few additional line cards (8x FE card and 1x GE card)

PS: In case if it matters... I do have some rate limiting configured on
POS interfaces.

Thanks for any help.

Have fun,
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/