[c-nsp] MPLS TE Autoroute with OSPF and IS-IS?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Aug 17 09:10:18 EDT 2006

Pete Templin <mailto:petelists at templin.org> wrote on Thursday, August
17, 2006 2:56 PM:

> Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
>> Pete Templin <> wrote on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:21 PM:
>>
>>> Anyone ever switch from OSPF to IS-IS with MPLS TE and autoroute in
>>> place?  We're working through a "ships in the night" rollout of
>>> IS-IS, and have now noticed that our tunnels aren't being
>>> substituted for the physical links in our RIB and FIB.  Any
>>> guidance on this topic?
>>
>> hmm, not sure I understand. You're running OSPF in your network, and
>> now deployed ISIS and enabled TE with ISIS? And you don't see any
>> ISIS paths via the tunnel? Please clarify..
>
> We've been running OSPF, and have been running MPLS TE with autoroute
> enabled.
>
> We've rolled out ISIS, with TE enabled under "router isis".  We have
> not yet changed administrative distances to make ISIS the preferred
IGP.

> Tunnel autoroute appears to have stopped functioning: all tunnels
> have 0 bps traffic, and "sh ip ro x.x.x.x" shows a true next-hop
learned via
> OSPF, rather than a set of tunnels.
>
> It somewhat appears that ISIS is the preferred IGP for autoroute, even
> though it's got a higher AD:
>
> core1-dlls#sh mpls traff autoroute
> MPLS TE autorouting enabled
>    destination 0661.1800.4033.00, area isis  level-2, has 4 tunnels
>      Tunnel411   (load balancing metric 2000000, nexthop 66.118.4.33)
>                  (flags: Announce)
> (blah blah blah)
>
> Perhaps since none of my next hop reachability information is coming
> from ISIS, this internal preference is causing autoroute to not insert
> reachability into the FIB?

oh, don't think this config is supported as you can't tell TE which of
the two IGP's to use for CSPF. Apparently ISIS is used (as shown in your
autoroute output, and I bet "show mpls traffic-eng topology" also refers
to ISIS), and so I assume OSPF's AD of 110 wins over the ISIS routes
(including the auto-routes) with AD=115 when it comes to route
installation.

What does "show isis rib <prefix> <mask>" tell you for one of the
prefixes you would expect to see auto-routed over the tunnel?

	oli