[c-nsp] OSM POS Latency

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Aug 17 12:59:24 EDT 2006

Hello Kevin

On 8/17/06 9:49 AM, "kevin gannon" <kevin at gannons.net> wrote:

> The errors are clean on a "show controller". Is there
> some form of error correction that might slow the packets
> down but still allow the packet to be received fine ?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Kevin

You could have a midline splice that's introducing DB loss but is not
causing end-to-end errors or some other anomaly such as a mechanical splice
on a patch panel or a dirty fiber somewhere.  If you are in a rural
environment I would also add in shotgun blast (beer + shotgun + aerial fiber
= compromised fibers).  And, as you said, there may be Forward Error
Correction happening on the DWDM gear that is sufficient to clean up any
errors you are experiencing.  Given the small increase in latency, I would
guess (and it's only a guess) that you have a splice (or more than one) on
the 65km span that's adding to the latency of that circuit.

Regards,

Mike