[c-nsp] Retrieving running config via SNMP

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Fri Aug 18 08:04:15 EDT 2006

Hello,

we had a problem this morning where the config of a customer router had not
been saved, and a power outage occurred after which the router rebooted with
an older and incorrect config. Shame on us.

What we would like to do now is to write a script that gets running and
startup configs of each device, diffs them, and sends a warning if
differences are seen.

We already have a script that gets the running configs via a SNMP-triggered
writenet (enterprises.cisco.local.lsystem.writeNet from OLD-CISCO-SYS-MIB).

How do I get the running config with SNMP ? I have found
enterprises.cisco.local.lflash.flashToNet in OLD-CISCO-FLASH-MIB, but it
does not work on my routers:

[vdk ~]$ snmpwalk -c private -v 2c router 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.10

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.2.10 = No Such Object available on this agent at
this OID

[vdk ~]$

"router" is a 7206VXR running 12.2(25)S4.

Anyone?

Vincent