[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Aug 20 10:14:16 EDT 2006

Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2006-08-20 12:00 +0100), Will Hargrave wrote:
>
>> If you have a unix box (there may be a windows app to do it I suppose)
>> and a CF card you can just get a disk image from someone and dd it onto
>> the CF. No physical media transfer required.
>
> I really doubt this works, even if you format lets say cflash in VXR or

You misunderstand. Will is suggesting that someone format a CF card in a
sup720, put the CF card into a unix box, "dd" the physical disk image
off, and transfer it via the net (as opposed to awkward physical means)
to the OP, who can then "dd" it back on and put the CF card into the sup.

> GSR (or possibly 7600 with 'wrong' IOS), copy 7600 IOS there and insert
> the cflash on running 7600, you will happily see IOS there and you can
> verify md5sum to be correct, however you can not boot from there, as rommon
> does not see anything there, unless it's formatted in 7600 with correct
> IOS.

While we're on the subject, if anyone from Cisco is paying attention -
your stupid shenanigans with slightly non-FAT filesystems and hidden
areas are EXTREMELY IRRITATING and actively detrimental to the ability
to recover a broken box.

> My recommendation for people who have the original 64MB bootflash is to copy
> latest SXD image there, just to have something in the system to bring it up
> in case of cflash related issues. I learned this the hard way, as it seems
> lot of other people have.

That's sound advice, right up until the point cisco make the base image