[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Aug 21 01:56:13 EDT 2006

On (2006-08-20 22:01 +0200), Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:

> > You can't use TFTP to transfer images > 64Mb ... it bombs out.
>
> Sure you can. You just have to use a non-broken tftp server.

My recollection of the whole subject matter is hazy at best,
but doesn't tftp standard have 2 bytes for block number and maximum
block size of 512bytes (with actually last block 511 bytes at most).

Which would give us 32MB (-1byte). Now as far as I know the block number
shouldn't wrap and there isn't any tftp++ to support larger block counts,
so I guess to get over 32MB you need to support non-standard options
that allow you to use larger blocks, 1500bytes would give you
>90MB files.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, saying that
tftp server is broken, if it does not suppport a) wrapping b) larger
blocksize c) larger block count, in my mind is quite harsh verdict.

Now of course we want to use something else than tftp, but who hasn't
bitten by that in the past? I've found numerous crash issue with cisco+ftp
(fun to crash important router in working hours, when preparing for
maintenance window) and ciscos requirement of assync abort in ftp is weird
at best. http is scarcely available and there are some horror stories
for it too (for me it has worked so far).

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti