[c-nsp] 3825 as bgp router?

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 16:18:06 EDT 2006

I believe it depends on a number of items.

If you are only using it as a border router with no bells on you should be
ok as the 3825 has purty nice HP.

High pps can definately hurt any software based router like the 3800.  If
you have a ton of very small packets it probably won't work as well.

Normally I am concerned with the amount of average CPU but more interested
in the max spike.  The infamous BGP Scanner Process is the bad boy.  Also
don't forget to factor in any type of DoS utilization on to your budget.

So, if you are taking on multiple full BGP tables with all the bells, and a
high rate of pps with small packets...I would jump up to a 7200 G1 or G2.

HTH!

tv