[c-nsp] MVR broken on 2960 ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Thu Aug 24 13:00:49 EDT 2006

Hi!

While testing catalyst 2960 to compatibility with our requirements
(really, these requirements are just all features we're using
on с2950t), i found an interesting bug with MVR implementation
on this platform:

Lab config is pretty simple:

mvr vlan <vlan>
mvr group 239.1.0.1 52
mvr mode dynamic
mvr
int gi 0/1
 switch mode trunk
 mvr type source
int fa 0/1
 switch mode access
 switch access vlan <another vlan>
 mvr type receiver

mostly copied from our working 2950's. But this config does not
works on c2960... :(
Switch accepts IGMP Join from client, forwards it over multicast
vlan, router installs mroute (if not yet), but multicast traffic
does not reach client.
Well, after changing mvr mode to compatible and then back to dynamic,
client starts to receive traffic, so MVR is't completely broken, but it's just
not possible to configure those changes every some seconds (even if it's
possible with kron, client has to wait one minute (minimal interval between
kron jobs) to his channel to appear on STB, and that is not acceptable...

May be there is some new feature which i need to configure on c2960 ?
Or we just should wait to future release ? :)

PS: tested IOS versions: 12.2.25SED, 12.2.25SEE1, 12.2.25SEE2, all of
them lanbase feature set.