[c-nsp] need some switch suggestions

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Fri Aug 25 13:55:29 EDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 10:21:26AM -0700, Scott Granados wrote:
> Hi, I've been tasked with coming up with a better switch design for our
> production environment.  Presently, we have a three tiered system in
> place with different layers for traffic (public, production, and
> internal).  We're using garden variety linksys 24 port gig switchs,
> completely unmanaged and completely nonconfigurable but the type of
> thing you would use for a startup.:)  We want to step up our switching
> game and I'm wondering if someone can suggest some good 24 port 100/1000
> switches (preferably cisco of course) to replace our linksys devices.

Well currently your non-modular gigabit switch options look like this:

2960G - Layer 2 only
3560G - Layer 3 support
3750G - Layer 3 support + StackWise
4948  - Layer 3, very high speed/density, dual power supplies

Hopefully this helps you sort through the options on Cisco's web site a
little more easily.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind."  -Sister Hazel